Energy Psychology Named Evidenced Based Treatment
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) recently recognized Thought Field Therapy, a prequel of energy psychology, as an evidenced based treatment in mental health. This is a big deal particularly to those seeking a holistic approach with minimal side-effects in mental health therapy.
Who Cares ??
As a branch of the Department of Health and Human Services, SAMSHA is tasked with educating the public in regards to treatments options that are considered effective. Of course this is a moving target, which changes as theories are proved or disproved. Sometimes, the answer to the question “What is the best treatment for X?” depends on who you ask and who is asking. Some folks only consider New Age approaches, fearing side-effects and risk associated with mainstream medicine. Other folks only consider treatments endorsed by government agencies such as SAMHSA or a physician. The New Age crowd have been using energy psychology for awhile. The recognition by SAMHSA will offer more conservative individuals another option. Who cares about the SAMSHA endorsement? My answer would be those who consider New Age approaches to be “out-there”, and want empirically based evidence to support their treatment decisions, with as few side effects as possible.
For the Traditionalist
Energy Psychology is a smart pairing of traditional psychological interventions which are tried and true, with Eastern ancient approaches to healing, which have been used for thousands of years. Traditional psychological interventions which are also utilized in Energy Psychology include:
- affirmations which support a new and more positive beliefs or thought patterns
- exposure therapy which suggest that progressive and continued exposure to a traumatic event results in desensitizing the responses when re-callling the event
- exposure therapy is used to treat phobias and often post traumatic stress disorder
- changing brain chemistry by releasing endorphins which help regulate mood
- slows the fight/flight/freeze response in the central nervous system
The endorsements by SAMSHA recognized Energy Psychology as effective in the treatment for the following:
- Personal Resilience
- Self Concept
- Self Regulation
- Stress Related
The endorsements by SAMSHA recognized Energy Psychology as promising in the treatment for the following:
- Depression and Depressive Symptoms
- General Functioning and Well-Being
- Phobia, Panic and Generalized Anxiety Disorders
If you have any questions re. how Energy Psychology may help treat a condition, please do not hesitate to call Authentic Life Counseling. We have used this treatment option to help many people with a variety of mental health problems feel better. I will do my best to answer your questions.
be in peace – diane